Homepage - FAQ - Album und Bilddatenbank - Datenschutz - Impressum
ForenindexForenindex Mitglieder Mitglieder   Suche Suche   F.A.Q. F.A.Q.   Registrieren Registrieren    Chat Chat   Anmelden Anmelden
Forenindex » International Bulletin boards » Technical topics » Direction failure in Espace 2016
Anzeigen: Heutige Beiträge  :: Abstimmungen anzeigen :: Beitragsnavigator
Zur Baumansicht dieses Themas wechseln Ein neues Thema erstellen Antwort abschicken

Direction failure in Espace 2016 [message #373365] Fri, 26 August 2016 09:09 Zum nächsten Beitrag gehen
mario24 ist gerade offline mario24
Grünschnabel
Hello everybody from Barcelona (Spain)

I was so happy last monday in the highway with my new Espace V 1.6 dci twin turbo EDC and suddenly I heard a beep.

A message appeared in the dashboard:

DIRECTION FAILURE. STOP THE VEHICLE

The red stop light was on, and the worst: The steering wheel did not work and I was driving in a highway! The steering wheel just turned 1 degree to the right and another degree to the left.

Luckily it was at 60 km/h approx after passing a toll. 1 km was a PK left. It was quite hard to take the exit without direction. Strongly I turn the steering wheel more than allowed to avoid impact and I could stop my Espace.

I had not heard any mechanical or anything unusual in the direction, so I thought it could be an electronic issue. So I decided to stop the engine and start it again.

The message on the dashboard was gone and direction back to work.

I decided to continue the journey (9 km) Homeward with extreme caution not exceeding 90 km/h.

Finally I could get home and park. I called the Renault Service and they recommended not to drive anymore, so I called for a breakdown truck and my new Espace V

was transported to Renault official service on the top of a truck. What a sad image for any vehicle! : '(

They told me that "never" had seen anything similar.

I'm waiting now for Renault's verdict. I have to say that Renault treatment was exquisite. They were, at least in appearance, very concerned about the issue.

However I can`t stop thinking in this:

- What could have happened if inplace of being on the highway I could have been driving on a mountain road (as it was last week with my family on holiday in the Pyrenees).

- Who decides that in a risky situation for the vehicle (breaking directon, for example) the best option is to lock the steering wheel to avoid greater damages. In my opinion the safety of passengers should be a greater risk than, for example, breaking the steering column, or even breaking the engine. First passanegers safety, second vehicle safety.

- Could I be confident again with my car after this situation?

Luckily I can explain it now and it just was a tricky situation I could manage.

Did you notice again a problem like that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mario

[Aktualisiert am: Fri, 26 August 2016 09:15]

Espace V Zen Energy dCi 160 Twin Turbo EDC
Re: Direction failure in Espace 2016 [message #373368 antworten auf 373365 ] Fri, 26 August 2016 09:20 Zum vorherigen Beitrag gehenZum nächsten Beitrag gehen
Andreas aus Berlin
Guru
Admin
Espace-Freund des Jahres 2002
Hello,

sure that the steering wheel was locked? Could it possible that only the power assist for the steering was out of function, so steering requires a lot of force?

Greetings, Andreas fB

ab 04.11: JK0F 3.5 V6 Initiale Bj.'03 http://images.spritmonitor.de/452964_5.png Die Küchenrolle: Dick & durstig

'04-'11: JE0A 2.0 8V RXE Bj.'98 http://images.spritmonitor.de/122395_5.png

'99-'04: J638 V6 RXE Bj.'94 http://images.spritmonitor.de/122753_5.png
Re: Direction failure in Espace 2016 [message #373369 antworten auf 373368 ] Fri, 26 August 2016 09:30 Zum vorherigen Beitrag gehen
mario24 ist gerade offline mario24
Grünschnabel
Andreas aus Berlin schrieb am Fri, 26 August 2016 09:20

Hello,

sure that the steering wheel was locked? Could it possible that only the power assist for the steering was out of function, so steering requires a lot of force?

Greetings, Andreas fB

Hi Andreas,

Could be that because it was not a mechanical lock, but I have some doubts because it was more like an electronic lock.

And I use word "lock" because I could manage one or two degrees with big effort, after that it was almost impossible.

Renault said that they have identified the problem (no idea which is yet) and probably they change entire steering sistem (I'm waiting for official confirmation right now).

Kind Regards,

Mario

[Aktualisiert am: Fri, 26 August 2016 09:31]

Espace V Zen Energy dCi 160 Twin Turbo EDC
  Zur Baumansicht dieses Themas wechseln Ein neues Thema erstellen Antwort abschicken
Vorheriges Thema:Rear View Mirror's Electrical schmatic diagram
Nächstes Thema:Does 1992 Model Espace quadra have a diff lock?
Gehe zum Forum:

-=] Zurück zum Anfang [=-
[ Druckbares PDF erzeugen ] [ Themen als Syndicate anderen Seiten zur Verfügung stellen (XML) ] [ ]

aktuelle Zeit: Wed Sep 19 13:54:58 CEST 2018

Insgesamt benötigte Zeit, um die Seite zu erzeugen: 0.01226 Sekunden
.:: Meldungen ans Forenteam :: Forumsindex ::.